This document explains the supported environments and technical specifications for a QuickBooks Integration server, and user workstation. Following these specifications gives you a good experience with Chronicle and QuickBooks Integration.
That being said, your legacy Chronicle environment may still run and not be causing you any problems. If problems arise with your legacy hardware, you will likely need to upgrade to one of our recommended configurations.
- Supported QuickBooks Environments
We currently support two different QuickBooks environments:
A hosted QuickBooks server We strongly recommend this solution for most customers. Our trusted vendor, Summit Hosting, provides a hosted solution we have confidence in.
- A dedicated physical server We support the latest versions of QuickBooks for US and Canadian customers. For a detailed list of requirements, please take a look at the following link: https://support.gochronicle.com/hc/en-us/articles/6158197267853-Set-up-for-QuickBooks-Server
We are often asked why a dedicated QuickBooks server is necessary to connect QuickBooks to Chronicle. Intuit provides software that lets third-party programs (like Chronicle) read and write to the QuickBooks file; this is the only way to talk with QuickBooks. We use that connector to share information between QuickBooks and Chronicle. Intuit's connector is both resource-hungry and intolerant of any other applications or processes. If it doesn't have enough processor or memory resources, as is the case when other applications are running, the connector's most common response is just to end the connection, which causes the bridge to fail. From the user's perspective, it feels and looks like a Chronicle problem; all the user knows is that financial data isn't showing up in Chronicle, but it's almost always an issue with Intuit's connector.
Since the connector is delicate by nature, the best way to ensure a reliable QuickBooks Integration is to require a dedicated environment so no other program or process can use resources or interfere. Besides the operating system, antivirus software, TeamViewer, and scheduled backup software, the QuickBooks server should never have any other software installed. It should never run terminal services or be set up as a network server or domain controller.
- Supported Chronicle Workstation Environments
- Dual Core, 2.0+ GHz processor
- 2 GB RAM (4+GB Recommended)
- 1024 x 768 or higher resolution monitor (dual monitors recommended)
- We don't support Terminal Services, Citrix XenApp, and other terminal-type platforms, but some customers with IT expertise have had success with this.
- We support Windows 10 and Windows 11 Professional 64-bit editions as the workstation OS. We do not support any home edition OS that is networked. Home OS’s such as Windows Home Premium work if they are not connected to a network.
- Microsoft Office 2016 (and greater) and Office 365. Office Starter & viewing applications are not supported.
- Adobe Reader X or later
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 & 4.0
- Must have administrator user rights on the local machine
- UAC Disabled