After setting up Twilio and once you initiate a text message (SMS) from within a Chronicle job file, not only will your staff or others receive your message in an instant but every reply will be tracked in the job journal. This gives you a record of not only emails and job notes but also every text message.
To set up a Twilio account start by clicking the Sign Up button found in Chronicle's Main System Setup> Program Links tab> Twilio sub-tab. Please note that trial accounts do not work with Chronicle.
Once at the Twilio website, on the "Getting Settings" page, grab the SID and Auth token as you will need them later in the process.
Next, set up a Twilio number to be used with Chronicle.
- The trial number will not work so you must buy at least one local number.
- You can have multiple local numbers and each needs to go through the same setup process.
- If you send multiple texts to the same person about different job files around the same time, with a single Twilio number - Chronicle would have no way of know which job a reply was associated with. So you need to setup multiple numbers so that Chronicle can rotate which number is used to send to a particular person to keep the text message thread to that job distinct.
- Be sure the numbers are SMS compatible (MMS is needed if you wish to use picture and document integration).
3. After purchasing a number, return to the phone number page > Manage Numbers > Active Numbers > select the phone number you just purchased. Scroll to the “Messaging” heading and input the following URL into the field next to "A Message Comes In": http://chronicletwilio.azurewebsites.net/smsresponder.aspx
Then save your changes.
The phone list should look like this:
Next, add Twilio information to Chronicle through program links. This can be done from the Main System Setup> Program Links tab> Twilio sub-tab. Add the Twilio Account SID, and Authorization Token and the Twilio number(s) obtained through the above process.
Twilio should now be functional and you will be able to send and receive messages immediately after successful setup!