Creating a task lets you assign the task of billing for a job or activity to a specific person (or people), and it also lets you know when the billing has been done.
- At the top of the screen, click the Tasks tab.
- Click New Task.
- Indicate that the task is For another (that is, for someone else).
- Select the department that the task is associated with and click Next.
You could either associate your billing tasks with the departments that the jobs are for, or you could associate the tasks with the accounting department.
- Enter a subject for the task and press enter or click Next.
Use the subject to describe what needs to be billed. For example, Bill for entire Baggins job or Bill for carpet replacement portion of Bolger job.
- Chronicle brings up a task screen.
In the Due Date, indicate the date the billing should be should be completed by. Typically billing should completed as quickly as possible so the Due Date would only be a day or two in the future.
If needed, use the Task Note entry to indicate which portions of the job should be billed. For example, suppose a job included six main activities and you completed three of them. You would want to make sure that you billed for those three tasks without billing for the three that weren't completed yet. You might want to indicate this in the Task Note.
- Click the Details tab to assign the task to specific people and to associate the task with a particular job.
- To associate people with the task from your resource list: Click From Resource List, check each person to use, and click Next.
To associate people who aren't on your resource list: Click Options, and then click Assign a Person. Pick the person just as you do elsewhere in Chronicle; you would pick the person responsible for the billing.
To associate a customer or job with this task: Click Associate Customer, and then pick the customer that this job is for just as you do elsewhere in Chronicle.
- Click Save & Close to finish the process.
Once you've done this, the task will go into the task list for the person you've assigned it to. When that person marks the task as done, Chronicle automatically lets you know. To keep on top of whether tasks are being completed in a timely fashion, you can monitor tasks at any time.