A "group" is merely a unique selection of people and/or organizations from various categories in Chronicle that have been grouped together.
TIP: It is recommended you focus on putting people in these groups since you will be connecting with people even in an organization. If at first you do not know anyone there, add the organization but as soon as possible replace the organization with people who work there.
The Group Manager can be found in your Tools list or it is a button found in the Marketing Manager. No matter where you open the Group Manager, you see a screen like this:
Groups you can use are in the list on the left; members of the that group are in the list on the right. To see details about any member, click Show Member Detail.
Controlling Which Groups You See and How They are Grouped
Within the list of groups, you initially see groups that you have created at the top, and groups that others have shared at the bottom. The Show and Group By entries let you control which groups you see and how they are grouped.
- Show: Choose All Available Groups or choose any group type. (Initially, Marketing and Personnel are the only group types available, but you can define additional group types by going to the Main System Setup, picking Categories, and then picking Group Types.)
- Group by: Choose My Groups/Others Shared to see all groups you have created together, and to see all groups shared by others together. Choose Type to show all groups of the same type (for example, Marketing) together, regardless of who created them.
Button Options from the Group ManagerNew Group or Edit: Shows the a screen that lets you add/change basic information about the group.
- Group Name: Enter a name that describes the group. If you are going to share the group with others, make sure the name will be clear to everyone.
- Who Can View: Choose No One But Me to keep the group private, chose Anyone to make the group freely available, or choose a security level if you want to make the group visible to some users but not others.
- Who Can Change: Choose No One But Me if you want to be the only person who had add or remove members from this group, chose Anyone to let anyone change it, or choose a security level if you want to let some people change it but not others. If, in the Who Can View entry, you indicate that no one else can view the group, then this entry is disabled since it would be impossible to change a group you couldn't see.
- Type: Elsewhere you can limit the group list to particular types of groups, for example, you could choose to see only Marketing groups, or only Personnel groups. Indicate here which type of group this is. The final choice on the menu, Add New Group Type, lets you add additional group types if needed. (You can add, change, or delete group types in the Main System Setup on the Categories tab by picking Group Types.)
- Expires: If this group will only be useful for a limited time, indicate when the group will expire. For groups that will be useful on an ongoing basis, leave this set to Never.
Marketing Notes/Expenses/Follow Up: Opens up a screen where you can add information about you visit with a group member.
Add Note to All: This button allows you to add the same note to each person in the group. For example, if you delivered holiday candy to each person/location and you want to note this in the files.
Add Task for All: This button allows you to add the same follow-up task for everyone in the group. For example, the future action you wish to take with all of these contacts will be an office visit.
Journal (email): Add or view journals for or send mass emails to the group. Journals added from the Group Manager are added to the group journal and they are also added to the journal for each member in the group, regardless of whether you send the journal.
Documents: Add or view documents associated with the group.
Activities: View activities for the group.
View in Main Program: This shows all selected group members on the Groups & Recalls tab in the main Chronicle window.
Member Details: Shows the InfoPanel for the person or organization selected.
Adding People or Offices to New or Existing Groups
In the Group Manager, you can add people or offices one at a time by clicking the Add button over the members list. If you have many members to add, it's faster to go to the People or Organizations tabs, select each person/office to add, and then click Add to Group in the ribbon to add all of them at once.
You can then choose whether to add the people to a new or existing group. Once you click Save, all of the selected people or offices are added to the group.
Adding People to Groups When Adding the People to Chronicle
When you are adding or editing any person or organization, the Groups tab lets you place that person/organization in one or more groups. (If you don't want to add the person to any groups, you can skip that tab; picking groups isn't required.) This screen for adding the person to groups only shows groups you're allowed to change, so you may see less groups here than you see elsewhere. (People can create groups that others can see but not change; you'll see those groups elsewhere, but you won't see them here since adding people to the group would be a change.)
Tip: One of the better ways to start a group is by going to the main People or Organizations tabs. Start by pulling up a category of people/organizations. Then either select all or only select the ones you want to add to a particular group by checking the box in the list on the screen. Next, click on Add to Group button in the Tool Bar. From there you can create a new personnel or marketing group or add to an existing group. Personnel group type is used with the Scheduler and the Marketing Manager will only work with the marketing type of groups. Typically you will need no other group type in Chronicle.
Please sign in to leave a comment.