Chronicle uses the Journal screen to either fax or email one or more documents. These documents must first be saved to a job, person, or organization file before they can be sent out.
It's generally easiest to start the process of faxing or emailing documents from the list of documents that you have already saved to the file. You simply select the file and click on the email button which will attach them to a journal for you. However, if you prefer you can start with a journal first and attach documents to it; the procedure here explains how to do that.
If you've already sent the document once and just want to resend it to the same person (or people), see Resending Documents.
To send a new document, a document, or a fax that you haven't sent before:
- In Chronicle, at the top of the screen, click the Jobs tab. We said to pick jobs here because that where you most often want a fax or email associated, but you could also go to the People tab and pick a person.
- If the job you need isn't shown in the list, use one of the options on the left to view the appropriate list of jobs. For example, to list all active jobs, click By Status, pick the department name and then pick Active.
- Click the job to select it.
- Next click either the Go button in the tool bar or right click the job and then select add journal.
- Chronicle brings up the journal screen for you to fill out with all the information for sending.
- Type your message in the box at the bottom. When sending a fax, what you type appears on the cover page. If you don't have any message and just want to send the document(s), just leave this box blank.
- To attach a document for either emailing of faxing, click Add Docs then either highlight the document to send and select Associate to Journal for existing document or select Add to first add it to the list so you can select it and associate it to the journal.
For example, suppose you wrote a letter to a customer in Word, and that letter is now on your computer's hard drive. Even though the document exists, the document isn't associated with this job, so you must assoicate it to the job and the attach it to the email/fax. Chronicle brings up a window that lets you find the document on your hard drive; go to the appropriate folder and select the document to add. Chronicle will open the document. Once you close the document, Chronicle adds the document.