This job cost screen provides information about projected costs, actual costs, and profit margins along with supporting detail for any given job at any given time. Here is what you need to make this screen work for you:
- Make sure you have entered a target gross profit % for each production department you have.
- If you use subcontractors, draw those projections from entering purchase order amounts in Chronicle.
- Have Chronicle calculate sub/material costs from the purchase orders.
- Enter the sold price for each job and add in any supplements that are needed as the job progresses.
- Enter labor into Chronicle thru the Labor Manager or the mobile app.
- If you are integrated with Quickbooks enter invoices and sub/material costs in the form of a bill in QB.
This screen can be found as a tab in the job file, by right clicking on any job in a list, or by selecting the costing & planning button in the InfoPanels.
You can see the cost summary in the top half of the screen and the supporting detail in the sub-tabs below. If the screen is not showing the projection detail, you will need to check the box to make it visible. This checkbox is in the upper right hand corner when not checked.
Invoices sub-tab: This information comes from QuickBooks, so you will need to integration with the desktop version of QB. From this tab you can view payments and line-item detail of the invoice, etc.
Subcontracting & Materials sub-tab: This information comes from QuickBooks, so you will need to integration with the desktop version of QB. You are also able to map QuickBook expense items in the Chart of Accounts with line item detail found on payables that you have entered in Quickbooks. This does not change how you use Quickbooks but rather you are linking information in Chronicle to the Chart of Accounts.
Labor Summary and Labor Detail sub-tabs: Labor must be entered into Chronicle by either manually entering it, or pulling it from QuickBooks.
Activity Bonuses sub-tab: These are added to labor records from the Labor Manager
Inventory sub-tab: If you have used any inventory on this job, this screen will show the cost of that inventory. To assign inventory to a job go to the inventory tab in the job file. To add inventory into Chronicle go to the main Equipment tab to add and track what is in the warehouse.
Purchase Orders sub-tab: This lists out the PO amounts that you added to Chronicle from the PO tab at the top of the job file screen.
To have any numbers for Projected Costs there are some settings you will need to make so that Chronicle can calculate your cost projections. For example what do you want to base the projections on? You have two choices: the budget which has labor, costs, and inventory or the departmental targeted profit percentage.
Fields on this Screen:
default this screen shows you the financials based on the billed or collected amount. And you can select to see the entire job or see the financials by each department or divisions if you have sent them up.
- Initial Bid: Original dollar amount of estimate given to the customer.
- Sold Price: Agreed upon price when contract is signed.
- Supplements: Any change orders or price adjustment after the sold price was agreed upon.
- Final Price: Total of sold price plus any supplements, change orders or price adjustments.
- Projected Profit: Calculated from settings in Main System Setup.
- Budgeted Est: Estimated amount entered in Budget for that department or job.
- Invoiced: value comes from QB
- Taxes: must be entered and identified as taxes in QB for amounts to be visible here.
- Credit Memos: entered in QB and if desired can be set to reduce the tax amount if needed.
- Deposit: value comes from QB
- Paid: value comes from QB
- Due: value comes from QB
- Total costs: from QB
- gross Profit: calculation - invoiced amt subtracting all labor and sub & materials costs found in Chronicle.
- Net Profit: calculation - gross profit minus user set % amount found in MSS for net profit calculation.
- Projected labor: calculated from data entered in Chronicle.
- Actual for Labor: entered in Chronicle either manually or pulled from QB.
- Projected for sub/materials: calculated from data entered in Chronicle.
- Actual for sub/materials: pulled from Qb.
- Inventory burden: entered in Chronicle either item by item or as a percentage of gross profit.
- Performance Bonus: from the bonus manager.
- Department Overhead: setting provides numbers for costs specific to a department apart form labor or business overhead. This field will only be visible if you have entered a percentage in the Main System Setup to be subtracted from the gross profit.
- Totals: gives projected and actual totals of all expenses.
Buttons top right of screen:
- Project Plan: view the gantt chart
- Add PDF: export some of the date to PDF
- Budget: view budget if you have set one up
- Print: print cost
- Export: to Excel