While you can create your own document templates, you can also use any of the standard templates that we've provided.
Adding Our Templates to Chronicle
- In the list of available templates above, click the template that you want.
- In the File Download box that comes up, click Save, and choose a location for the file. Click Close when the download is done.
We recommend an easy location to find like your desktop, though you can put the file anywhere you want.
- Rename the file so that the file name ends with .rtf.
For example, if you download the purchase order template, change the name from Purchase Order to Purchase Order.rtf; you can do this either when you are downloading the file or after the file is on your desktop (or elsewhere on your computer).
- On your Home page, click Main System Setup under Management Tools.
If Main System Setup isn’t in listed under Management Tools; see Adding Main System Setup to Your Tools List.
- On the Documents setup tab, click the Templates tab.
- Select the department to add the template for.
- Click the + Document Template button above the list.
- For the type of template, choose Chronicle Text.
- Enter a title for the template and click Next.
Make the name as clear as possible so people are clear on which template they are using. Make sure two document templates for a department don’t have similar names so the wrong template doesn’t accidentally get picked.
If this template will be associated with a required document, the name can correspond to the name of the required document, but it doesn’t have to.
- When the document window appears, click File, click Open, and choose the file that you downloaded.
If you don't see the file, make sure you are looking at the right location. Also make sure that you followed the instruction in step 3 to add .rtf to the end of the file name; Chronicle only shows .rtf files here.
On some computers, the document window may take around ten seconds to open, and it may look like nothing is happening; please be patient.
- If needed, make changes to our template to customize it.
Documents Templates with Customer/Job Info gives more detail on customizing document templates.
- Click the in the upper right corner of the window to close the document template.
- Click Yes when asked if you want to save the document.
Suggestions for Additional Doc Templates?
If you have ideas for additional document templates that you think would be useful, or if you have document templates that you think could be broadly useful and that you'd like to share with others, please send your suggestion to firstname.lastname@example.org.